Looks like the folks at Sony Santa Monica are still working on a mystery project that has yet to be announced, as IGN reports that the company has put up a job listing that seeks an experienced Art Director for an unannounced title — one that was teased alongside the God of War sequel “God of War: Ragnarok”.
Check out the tweet with the job listing here:
🔥 HOT JOB: ART DIRECTOR 🔥
We are seeking an experienced Art Director for the development of a new unannounced title!
— Santa Monica Studio Is Hiring (@SonySantaMonica) January 19, 2021
Here’s the entire details of the Art Director position from Sony Interactive Entertainment themselves:
We are seeking an experienced Art Director for the development of a new unannounced title! Do you love collaborating to build genre-defining games? Join us as we embark on a new journey!
The Art Director is an industry veteran and craft expert. They have practical experience in defining and maintaining a world-class artistic vision to support the overall game vision with a proven execution to ship. They will coordinate large teams of artists across multiple subject areas to execute on the creative promise for a large-scale new project. The ideal candidate has been in a Senior/Lead role on multiple titles and is able to bring to bear their expertise in content creation, collaboration, and communication to craft immersive and engaging player experiences.
- Develop the aesthetic pillars of the project, so it can be executed via defined specifications, reference materials, and style guides for environments, characters and creatures, props, lighting, and special effects. Ensure all art assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the vision of the game.
- Partner with the leadership team to identify and solve artistic challenges including defining a stylistic vision, establishing and maintaining aesthetic standards, and influencing the technical direction to best support the artistic, design, and narrative goals.
- Build, lead, and guide a team of cross-disciplinary artists through all phases of development and champion their needs.
- Maintain art scope and focus of an ambitious vision, including refining the process for developing estimates, crafting efficient content, and establishing clear review gates.
- Work with the other directors, leads, and producers to support collaboration across art, animation, design, audio, programming, and user research to reach project goals and offer art-driven solutions to design challenges.
- Contribute to studio and team building efforts including team training/development, recruiting, community outreach, and networking.
10 years of recent experience developing real-time 3d videogame artwork.
Shipped at least 1 AAA game title in an Art Lead or Art Director role.
Demonstrated experience in artist workflows, tools, and pipelines. Ideally this includes hands-on experience in more than one art field such as VFX, Lighting, Characters, Materials, Environments, etc.
Ability to lead artists to high quality results by quickly providing clear and meaningful feedback.
While Sony Santa Monica is keeping busy with working on the unannounced project, the God of War team recently hired The Last of Us: Part II’s sound designer to help work on the sequel.