Announced during the PC Gaming Show, Cold Symmetry has revealed that their upcoming Mortal Shell game will indeed be a timed exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Following this reveal, the studio has released an official statement detailing why the Mortal Shell Epic Games Store exclusivity deal was made.
The statement arrives from the official Mortal Shell discord channel
Hello everyone,Many of you have heard the announcement that Cold Symmetry, together with the game’s publisher Playstack, have decided to release Mortal Shell on the Epic Games Store as a PC timed-exclusive.While this will not affect the releases on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, we understand that for those of you fellow PC users who prefer to keep their game library on Steam and are excited about Mortal Shell, this news can be disappointing. We would like to provide a bit of context to how this decision came to be. We’re not expecting a sudden shift towards solidarity regarding this decision, but considering the amazing support from all of you since the game was announced, we at the very least OWE you an honest explanation. In short, we’re a tiny studio and, for our publisher, we were a risky investment considering we’re a new and unproven team that hasn’t shipped a title before. This project, and our ambition to make a premium indie game that we personally would enjoy playing, has been a huge undertaking for us. The intense pressure of expectations we put on ourselves, and the limited resources we have at our disposal, has put an incredible demand on all our time and creative energy. While the game was initially set to be smaller and less polished than it is now, we kept pushing and raising the bar, believing that a small but dedicated team can create something compelling in a genre that demands famously high standards.So yeah… ironically this project was “the Dark Souls of game development” for us. The reason we’re telling you this is not for pity, but to give you some real-life context about the headspace we were in when Epic Games first showed an interest. When Epic approached us, the game was at its most critical stage in development, where additional financial support was something that would meaningfully improve the quality of the Mortal Shell experience. Was this an easy choice? No. But given the circumstances, we felt it was the right thing to do for the game. We know that, ultimately, the high emotions about the Epic Games Store come only because you care about this project. That passion you have has always fuelled us, and regardless of your platform preference, we’re grateful that you’re a part of our community, and we can’t wait for you to get your hands on Mortal Shell.
Sincerely, – Andrew, Anton, Dmitry and Vitaly
Mortal Shell is currently targeting a 2020 release on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. In case you missed it, be sure to watch the official gameplay reveal of the boss fight for Mortal Shell here: Mortal Shell Boss Gameplay Shows Hadern in Action
Latest From MP1st
- Marvel’s Avengers Development Costs Still Haven’t Been RecoupedWhile Crystal Dynamics’ Marvel’s Avengers is a fun action game, it’s hard to deny that it has its fair share of issues,… Read more »Source: MP1st | Published: November 25, 2020 - 8:19 pm
- Ubisoft Nano Launches Rabbids Wild Race, a Free Fun-Sized Browser GameThe Rabbids are back! This time in a free competitive online race that’ll have you soaring through the sky as you race… Read more »Source: MP1st | Published: November 25, 2020 - 6:45 pm
- Black Ops Cold War Update Today November 25 Brings Hardcore Nuketown and FixesWhile Treyarch rolled out the Nuketown ’84 map yesterday in a server-side update, the studio has released the November 25 Call of… Read more »Source: MP1st | Published: November 25, 2020 - 5:07 pm
- New NBA 2K21 Update 1.003 for PS5 & Xbox Series X Brings Improvements (Next-Gen Patch 2)Continuing the game’s current and now-gen changes, Visual Concepts has released the new NBA 2K21 update 1.003 patch for the PS5 and… Read more »Source: MP1st | Published: November 25, 2020 - 4:56 pm
- Watch Dogs Legion Multiplayer Delayed to Early 2021Those waiting on the Watch Dogs Legion multiplayer component, you’re going to have to wait some more, as Ubisoft has announced that… Read more »Source: MP1st | Published: November 25, 2020 - 4:45 pm
Latest newsView all